Dangerous Beans

One-half of Deux Lectrices, writing about the things I read.

Reading progress update: I've read 9%.

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar - Kady Cross

Griffin approached the counter and the tired-looking man behind it. “I beg your pardon, but I’m looking for a friend of mine.”

The man raised a gray brow and stared at Griff with tired eyes. “And who would that be, Your Highness, the Queen of Sheba?” Then over his shoulder, “Hey, Ernest. You seen the Queen of Sheba?”

A portly man with thick mutton sideburns chuckled as he turned a wheel on the wall, closing a heavy iron gate beyond the counter. “Not recently, George.”

It took all of Griffin’s will not to roll his eyes. Sam, however, was not so amused. “Watch your tongue, troll. Do you know who you’re talking to?”

1.) Griffin literally went up to a counter and went, "have you seen my friend?"  No name, no description, not even a "he was brought in for..." just "have you seen my friend?"

2.) The place has already been described as bad, thanks Cross.

3.) ofc the jailers would be "portly" since they're harassing poor, put upon Griffin, who only asked an incredibly vague question and wasted their time.  Time they could be using to LOOK AFTER THEIR PRISONERS.

4.) God sake, Sam, you were doing so well and not buying into Griffin's, "I'm a DUKE; I will blow the walls off the jail if I want to and escape back to the UK cackling all the way!!!"