Dangerous Beans

One-half of Deux Lectrices, writing about the things I read.

Reading progress update: I've read 54%.

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar - Kady Cross

Jasper was sitting in the parlor, whittling an elephant out of a small block of wood, when Mei came in. Dalton might have “given” him his freedom, [Location 2169]

So, literally nothing is stopping him from walking out of the house?

Dalton’s man hadn’t much liked being roughed up by a girl and had made a comment as to what he was going to do to Finley if he ever saw her again. Dalton fired him on the spot. [Location 2177]

No, no, he didn't.  He trusted the man's word and made sure to keep a closer eye on Mary Sue from now on, since she was running off to visit her love interest.

Reno Dalton was a lot of things, but he was a might protective of what he thought of as “his,” and Finley was a valuable possession, as far as he was concerned. [Location 2185]

He wants to fuck her.  That's all I'm hearing.

“I don’t trust her,” Mei said, lips settling into that little pout he found so cute. “She came out of nowhere, and Dalton took her in without question, even though she’s English and the duke of whatever was asking questions about you.” [Location 2185]

Raising good questions, so ofc she's the bad guy.

“Because English society treated me like some kind of strange being. You know they sometimes display people like animals in a zoo. [...] Miss Finley doesn’t strike me as the type to allow herself to be treated as such.” [Location 2194]

IT IS NOT ABOUT WHETHER OR NOT FINLEY WOULD ALLOW HERSELF TO BE TREATED ONE WAY OR ANOTHER BY SOCIETY.  SHE DOESN'T HAVE A CHOICE.  SHE CAN WAIL ALL GODDAMN DAY TILL THE MORNING ABOUT HOW SHE DOESN'T LIKE IT: IT'S STILL HOW SOCIETY THEN AND THERE WORKED.  THEY WOULD DISCLUDE HER AND MAKE SURE SHE NEVER GOT WORK AGAIN.

“She’s all right. I got her into a brawl in Five Points, and she never complained.” That was true. “Dalton likes her, too, so I’m not sure what that says about her character.” [Location 2194]

This is honest to God the book's "valid" response to when someone raises good questions about Finley, "Well, I like her and I'm a good guy, so..."

“Are you jealous?” He couldn’t stop the grin that spread incredulously across his lips.  [Location 2202]

Yes.  Any time a woman has valid criticism or questions about another woman, she's jealous.  You've solved the mystery.

Mei shrugged. “She’d never be a victim with a collar around her neck.” [Location 2202]

OFC not, unless it could be played for relationship angst.

He didn’t know Finley well, but it sounded like something she might do. [Location 2202]

Then why are you trying so hard to pretend that Mei's dislike of her is just her being jealous because Finley is OMGZ SEW HAWT?

What had Mei said to her? a little voice in his head asked. [Location 2202]

WE'VE GOT VICTIM BLAMING!!!!!  I HAVE BINGO!!!!