Dangerous Beans

One-half of Deux Lectrices, writing about the things I read.

Reading progress update: I've read 6%.

The Girl in the Clockwork Collar - Kady Cross

Griffin closed the door behind him and quickly crossed the corridor to knock on the one opposite. He raked a hand through his hair as he waited, then he heard the sharp clunk of the bolt and the heavy wood opened.

“You should have asked who it was,” he cautioned. “I

could have been anyone.” Finley smiled as she pulled the door fully open. She looked as tired as he felt. Still, she was the prettiest girl he’d ever seen. “I knew it was you. I heard you leave your room.”

Of course she had; she had that bloody sensitive hearing of hers. She was more than capable of defending herself, too. She was far too reckless and confident at times. It would kill him to see her get hurt.

[...]

It was a little disconcerting, seeing her underthings, even though they were stacked in an open drawer. He looked away.

[Chapter 1:]

“You know, if you weren’t a duke and this was a public ship, we’d be in a terrible spot of bother right now.”

Basically, the worldbuilding is saying, "in this time, it's inappropriate for them to be alone together!"  And then going, "Griffin sneaked off to Finley's room to be alone with her", and then saying, "oh, but, yeah, he was ~embarrassed he caught himself looking at her underwear."

Also bolded for Mary Sue!Finley-isms.  "It would kill him to see her get hurt"? Luckily that'll never happen.